Monday, July 8, 2013

Tomorrow, tomorrow- it's only a day away!

Soooo....tomorrow is the infamous pre-construction meeting! I'm excited to be at this point because I know there is about to be a lot more action in the near future. I can only hope and pray that the PM plans to break ground the day after our meeting- that would be super, but I learned not to hold my breath a long time ago. Anyways, I have a list of questions that I plan on asking. Mainly about the location of things i.e. the furnace, HWH, hose bibs. I also have concerns about the grading of the property because the back of our property has about a 5 ft drop off and then our lot extends about another 40 ft beyond that. I'm curious to see how this is going to play out because the reason we chose the lot was because it was the largest one available and I want all the space to be useable. I also had a few requests for the master bath. I really love the accent tile that we picked and I'd like to incorporate as much as possible, so I was thinking about requesting 2 rows instead of just the one. Maybe one in the original spot, and one a little lower...I don't know, but it was a thought so I want to see if it could be an option. I also would rather not have the mirror hung in the master BR. I found a picture on pinterest (shocking, right?) of a rectangular mirror above each sink- picture below. I really like this idea. Maybe tomorrow after I get some answers I will post about my questions and the answers provided by the PM---I'm ready for some progress and I really hope that the plan is to break ground this week because Dustin is getting anxious and when that happens it kinda comes across as being moody, so basically he is getting on my nerves. Don't get me wrong, I'm on the anxious side myself, but not in a moody way---not at the current time anyways. Speaking of being moody...So tomorrow will be 2 weeks since our LP at NVR told me that our file had been submitted to underwriting. I emailed her last Tuesday to check the status, but there hadn't been a decision made at that point. I called around 3 today and left a voicemail, so I'm expecting a call back tomorrow. My message was very nice because I know last week was a holiday and I truly understand that can cause delays, but we submitted our application on 5/24 and today is 7/8 and even though we are moving forward with the process I would still like an official approval. I just don't understand as to why the process takes so long with NVR. This is not me saying anything bad whatsoever about our LO or LP because they have both been so great, I mean really great. They return my calls and answer my emails and have been just as nice as can be...but what's the deal? Anyways.....oh, I forgot to mention that I went by the lot on the way home today and it wasn't staked out. Shouldn't it be staked out for the Pre-con meeting? Maybe I'm wrong. 

Love this idea. Need to find these mirrors.

8 comments:

  1. Love that mirror idea.

    We had our preconstruction meeting a few weeks ago and they only had our house spray painted out on the lot-no stakes.

    We also learned that we will have a retaining wall on the one side of our house-that was a surprise. Luckily the stone used for the retaining wall matches our brick a little better than it does on the house next to us that has a red brick home.

    Good Luck! Now the fun starts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There wasn't anything mentioned about a retaining wall today. Because the drop off is towards the rear of the property and won't affect the building it will most likely be left alone for us to deal with. Eventually.

      Delete
  2. beautiful mirrors!! Don't let this be discouraging because every community may be different but the permit had to be released and that took 2 weeks after we got the NVR go ahead. I don't know if that was just our case but there was a bit of delay until they could get a permit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate that happened to you! I would have been really upset to hear that. We were told that they would break ground this week and that the footers would be next week. The rain has caused delays for the concrete guys so I'm hoping for sunshine for a while.

      Delete
  3. We didn't even walk our lot at our pre construction meeting. Sometimes the blogs are great but every community does things differently. Don't read too much into it. But the meeting will go over your lots grading so they will show you how it will be once it's done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did end up getting to walk the lot even though the grass was knee high. The PM showed us our property lines and where the drive way would be and how far back the house would be from the road. I think we may have to address the drop off at the back of the property after we close though.

      Delete
  4. Some how I missed this post yesterday. I hope the PM answered all your questions. Everything you mentioned except the Non-Standards (mirrors and tile) were covered at my Pre-Con and were on his checklist that RH gives their PM's. Our lot wasn't staked out a few days before our meeting, so I called the SR and said I expected it to be staked before the meeting. It was literally done 30 minutes before our meeting (but it was done).

    I was able to personally talk with the foundation and excavation crew about grading, house height and even leaving dirt on our lot. You may be able to talk with them and see if they can bring in dirt from another lot to help ease the slope. They had to do this with 2 homes in our community. Honestly, it's easier than hauling it away.

    I spoke with my LP today because we are finalizing our final approval and she said this is their busiest season. She said the underwriters are really backed up. Our initial approval took 7 weeks and it was a garden variety loan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything was answered and I feel good about it all. The lot wasn't staked, but the weather has been rotten. I hadn't thought about asking to leave the dirt and add more dirt from other lots. I can't imagine why they wouldn't do this since the lot beside us is vacant and isn't even going to be for sale. They could come in from that side and just dump it back there. Thanks for sharing that info! I didn't receive a call back from the LP today so I sent an email. I let her know that I wasn't trying to harass her, just wanted to know where we stood. That was around 130 today and I didn't get a response to that either. Maybe she is out of the office (like I was today) so I'm keeping my cool.

      Delete